3WARE Controllers

We have clients that are using non RAID'ed systems for some pretty significant portions of their IT infrastructure. We haven't seen a disk or disk subsystem failure in years, except for one 6 month old DELL RAID array that failed due to main board/RAID controller problems. When a standard DELL server with SCSI raid is the price of a new Kia automobile, business owners are reluctant to spend the dollars especially if they've been "getting away with it" for a few years.

Reliable PATA and SATA RAID might just be the technology to get them to spend a bit more for that added RAID insurance. Having tried several Promise and one other ATA RAID controller in the past (can't remember the name), the state of the art at the time wasn't good enough. I'm wondering if its good enough now.

Those of you with experience using 3WARE controllers, please be so kind as to inform the list members (and me in particular) about your impressions.

Please include the 3WARE controller model, disk drives used & count, RAID level, main board and O/S version.
Would you consider putting up a 2TB 3WARE raid array as a sites primary server or would you go SCSI?

Bill Gradwohl
(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com
SPAMstomper Protected Email