Re: [OT] The right HW for the each SW server

At 06:02 9/21/2003, you wrote:
Having said all that, for a few hundred users, get a Dell Poweredge 1650 two CPUs with about 1G memory, and a megaraid controller. You'll need a SCSI disk array and about half a dozen disks (mirrored and striped, RAID5 doesn't have the write performance you'll need for mail and file serving.

I would actually disagree here. Given the cost of the "SCSI disk array and about half a dozen disks", I would much rather purchase an off-the-shelf 3Ware 7500-8 or -12 card with EIDE drives or (better yet) SATA drives. Save at least hundreds if not a couple thousand dollars, and get performance practically the same. Also, the more drives in the array, the faster the read speeds.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx