Re: up2date --nox option

If I read the account below aright, then I think the the problem lies in the way that up2date is using, or abusing, the DISPLAY environment variable. I just tried (and failed) to reproduce it, but I think that's as a result of a flawed test rather than anything else.

jch

Jason Montleon wrote:

I am logging into a RedHat 9 system remotely from a Windows system via ssh
using PuTTY 0.53b with X11 forwarding enabled.  Sometimes I run the Cygwin X
Server, sometimes I don't.  More than not it's not running.

I have tried some things to try to understand the --nox option for up2date
after having some trouble and I am a little befuddled.

Without running an X Server:
Log in using PuTTY and try to run 'up2date -fui' as non-root user.  up2date
dies unexpectedly.
Log in using PuTTY and try to run 'up2date --nox -fui' as non-root user.
up2date dies unexpectedly.
Same applies for trying to run 'up2date-nox -fui'

Log in using PuTTY with X11 forwarding disabled and try running
'up2date -fui'.  I am propmpted command-line for root password and continue
as expected.  Same applies for 'up2date-nox -fui' and 'up2date --nox -fui'.
This works.

Now with an X Server running:
Log in using PuTTY and try to run 'up2date -fui' as non-root user.  I am
prompted graphically to log in with root password and up2date continues on
the command line.  Not sure I get this one.  Maybe I do; is up2date calling
another program to request authenticaton that is then deciding for itself if
it can use GUI or no?

Type up2date, log in graphically and up2date runs graphically. This works.

Log in using PuTTY and try to run 'up2date -fui' as non-root user.  This
works.
Log in using PuTTY and try to run 'up2date --nox -fui' as non-root user.
This works.

So am I nuts, or is --nox not working like it is supposed to in the first
two cases?  It shouldn't care if x is running or not.  Is this something to
do with consolehelper/userhelper I see running at the authentication point
because X11 forwarding is enabled but no X Server available?

Jason