"calendar" program for Redhat 9 (and beyond)?

Greetings. One of the professors here has evidently become very attached to the program "gnomecal", a calendar program that appeared in earlier versions of Redhat. He just got a new computer that's running Redhat 9, and he's trying to make gnomecal work on that system, evidently using an RPM that he copied over from his old system.

For my own appointments I'm still using my "DayMinder" monthly planner -- i.e., a paper-based calendar system. As a consequence, I'm not current with the latest developments in online calendar systems for linux.

I looked through some of the RPM's in the Redhat 9 distribution and concluded that the "evolution" package is now the preferred source of PIM utilities.

Can you folks comment on this? Is evolution now the way to go? Are there good alternatives? Will evolution's calendar be disappearing any time soon, as gnomecal evidently has? Etc., etc.

Thanks.

- Mike