Re: Sendmail configuration with multiple IP's/Domains

Andrew Smith wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to or could
direct me to the directives to determine the IP address
that sendmail uses when sending email.

I have a server with a dozen IP addresses and it seems
to pick the last one as the IP addresses it uses to
send email.

I have 3 MTA's listening:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTALocal')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=X.Y.A.B, Name=MTA')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=X.Y.C.D, Name=MTA2')

The sending IP address depends upon IP routing -- you're trying to connect to some machine and you have to go via some interface which has a route to that machine and an IP address associated with it. The source IP address is necessarily the IP address associated with the outgoing interface.

On the other hand, the _name_ used for outgoing mail is defined by the "j" macro and defaults to the (fully-qualified) hostname for the machine (roughly speaking). You can change that. You can also masquerade domain names to hide internal names. I do a combination of these for my home server setup.

I'm curious -- why don't you just listen on the wildcard IP address? Do you actually make use of the distunction between all those possible listeners? If so, what?

Also, the machine is actually running 7.3 not 9, but
that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Glad you said. In this case it doesn't make any difference, you're right, but it's good to know.

jch