RAID question

Greetings etc,

In a system I am building I have setup two hard disks in a RAID 1
configuration (which has worked well so far) but I would now like to
disable (possibly temporary, possibly permanently) the secondary hard
disk from the array (so the RAID array will be an array of one). I have
tried removing the secondary hdd from /etc/raidtab (and rebooting) but
this has no effect (lsraid -R -p also does not show the changes I made
to /etc/raidtab). I have also attempted to "raidstop" each array, but
the majority of them are in use at runtime, and thus I can't unmount
them.  Can anybody offer some pointers?

Additionally I will still need both hdd's in the machine as I will be
installing Gentoo on the secondary hdd, so simply removing the hdd is
not an option. I suppose I could simply format the drive from a boot
disk (and recreate the array when I want it back),but there has to be a
nicer solution than this?

Thanks in advance,
Brett