Re: clock skew detected?

will do. thanks.

Bob Arendt wrote:
Using the words of Tilghman Lesher:

        It means that a built file has a timestamp older than the source
        file.  Usually this happens either when you reset the date in
        the middle of a build or you set the date back after you do a
        cvs update.  Check the current date and check the modification
        dates on your files, and you'll find the problem.

I've seen this from NFS servers that weren't time-sync'd. Or some source
files might have dates in the future for some reason. What you might
try is a "make mrproper" to clean out the kernel source tree (this will also
wipe out your kernel .config). Then give all the files a current time stamp
with respect to the system clock; In the top kernel source directory:

find . -exec touch '{}' \;

This will "touch" every file in the directory tree, setting the access and
mod times to the current time.  Then you should be able to rebuild
without this warning.

-Bob

shane c branch wrote:

no nfs on this machine, but basically, from what you are saying, i should check that my system clock is correct?

Bob Arendt wrote:

You're probably building on a NFS mounted filesystem, and the clocks
between the server and build host are skewed.  Time sync them and
this goes away (ntp works well, or just use ntpdate occasionally).

-Bob Arendt

shane c branch wrote:

i was rebuilding a kernel image today, and after it finished compiling, the machine reported the following error:
make warning: clock skew detected, your build may be incomplete.

could someone tell me what that means, and how do i fix it?

--

regards,

shane