Re: SYNC Question

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 10:11, John Haxby wrote:
> Price Technology wrote:
> >I had posted a while back asking about writing data immediately to a
> > removable drive, and SYNC was indeed the answer.  Thanks to whomever it
> > was that jogged my brain on that one.
> >
> >My question now is a two parter;
> >
> >1. Is there a setting that will cause the sync operation to happen
> >automatically at every disk write without me having to enter the command
> > each time ??
>
> Only at the application level.   You can use fsync() or open the file
> O_DIRECT when you write files.

Acknowledged.  I recalled (or thought I did) something from my earlier
readings, but the dust has settled since then and I had forgotten it.

> >2. Am I cutting my own throat by doing such a thing ??  (ie would it cause
> >performance problems, increase the chance of data corruption, that sort of
> >thing)
>
> Performance will suck.    Big time.   I mean really really suck.    A
> write will take thousands of times longer to complete.    Especially if
> this is a slow removable disk.    It will be slow.   Your disk will die
> of physical exhaustion.   Well, maybe not that one, but it will be painful.

Not good I am thinking.  I had a hunch that was the case.

> To be honest, not everything is finally commited to disk and the disk
> marked clean until you unmount it.    Before you remove any removable
> device you need to unmount it and then everything gets written back to
> the disk.
Right.  That's what I was seeing which prompted the earlier post. (a few weeks
ago now)

 Anyway, thanks again for the input.  I'll stick to using SYNC when I'm in a
hurry and leave well enough alone elsewise.

Joebewan