Re: kernel recompile, with grub

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, John Haxby wrote:

> shane c branch wrote:
>
> > thanks. i suppose i meant to ask, why wasn't this file ever needed on
> > my lilo installed linux machines? i looked in the /boot of a 7.1 box i
> > have that uses lilo, and initrd is not present.
>

> It's not actually anything to do with grub vs lilo -- you'll see that
> the kernel line in grub.conf has something like
>
>     root=LABEL=/
>
> on the end of it and this somewhat forces the use of an initial
> ramdisk.   Or so someone on this group said it did a while ago.   And I
> believe them :-)   But if anyone knows how that stuff in linuxrc in the
> initrd works, I'd be more than happy to see an explanation.   And if no
> one does I guess I'll have to find out for myself :-(

hoping i'm responding to the right issue here, if you want to
mount the root FS automatically using the "LABEL" directive,
you have to have an initrd.img file, whether you need it or not
for additional drivers.

as it was explained to me, when you have an initrd.img, the
mounting is done in user space(?) and is capable of processing
the "LABEL" option.

if you have no initrd.img, then mounting the root FS has to be
done by device name, but additional filesystems can use the
LABEL directive.

anyone want to add to this?  i've just taken to running 'mkinitrd'
for every new kernel, and everything's worked out fine.

rday