SYNC Question

I had posted a while back asking about writing data immediately to a removable
drive, and SYNC was indeed the answer.  Thanks to whomever it was that jogged
my brain on that one.

My question now is a two parter;

1. Is there a setting that will cause the sync operation to happen
automatically at every disk write without me having to enter the command each
time ??

2. Am I cutting my own throat by doing such a thing ??  (ie would it cause
performance problems, increase the chance of data corruption, that sort of
thing)

Any input much appreciated.

Joebewan