2nd try: Need help REconfiguring a mouse.

I asked this question before, but no luck. I really want to know how this
works. Do I need to supply more information?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: shrike <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Need help REconfiguring a mouse.

I have two mouse questions.

My Logitech cordless ps2 ball mouse died so I went to Best Buy and bought
a uSoft Cordless Optical USB Intellimouse with two thumb buttons.

I could not for the life of me find out what program is run at
install-time to figure out what kind of mouse I have. I was able to run
redhat-configure-mouse which set up gdm correctly. I ended up with
/etc/sysconfig/mouse set up as:

FULLNAME="Microsoft - IntelliMouse (USB)"
MOUSETYPE="ps/2"
XEMU3="no"
XMOUSETYPE="IMPS/2"
DEVICE=/dev/input/mice

But I couldn't find a program to set up my XF86Config file. Luckily a
friend was able to google up a recipe for me that worked. I ended up doing
this (which seems to work so far):

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Microsoft IntelliMouse USB"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Now I can tell you my two questions.

1. Is there a more correct answer for my XF86Config than what I have?
2. What is the program that I can run that would do this for me in the
   first place?

Thanks.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net