Re: postfix sasl support

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Klaasjan Brand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've set up RH9+postfix as a mail server for a few domains. For a few
> "roaming" users I'd like to set up SMTP relaying using SASL
> authentication. Since RH9 comes with saslauthd from the cyrus sasl
> package I assumed postfix would run with it.
> I've added the following lines in /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf:
>     pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>     mech_list: plain login
>
> If I try to relay a mail via the server it refuses to authorize the user:
>     Aug 29 13:10:22 server postfix/smtpd[19802]: warning: SASL
> authentication problem: unrecognized plaintext verifier saslauthd
>     Aug 29 13:10:22 server postfix/smtpd[19802]: warning:
> unknown[127.0.0.1]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed
>
> Saslauthd is running of course, but this looks like postfix doesn't
> support it. Does this mean I have to rebuild postfix with saslauthd support?

What I've always found is that postfix can't access the pam authentication
schemes if it's running in its normal chroot jail.

Go into your /etc/postfix/master.cf file, and edit it so that you see the
smtp line look like this:

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

The second "n" takes the one part out of the chroot jail, so that it can
properly talk to the pam system.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe