Re: mailing list question

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Globe Trotter wrote:

> I am the newsletter editor for a professional group which has about a
> couple of thousand members. As the new newsletter comes out, I would
> like to send e-mails to all these people telling them that it has come
> out and been posted at the group's webpage. Last time, I had to send out
> ten different e-mails (because of Unix limitations of no more than 220
> addresses or something like that), and all Bcc'ed (so that the other
> members would not get hold of the other addresses). Bcc'ing is not a
> great idea because of the monster called MS Trash (it automatically puts
> stuff in spam) so I suspect that some people never got the message, but
> more importantly, I was wondering if there was a way out of sending 20
> or so e-mails. How does one set up a mailing list with the addresses in
> them, and such that no one else can either get hold of the addresses
> (not reproduced in the e-mail) or mail to the list (other than me)? Is
> this possible?

	It's very possible.  If you want an easy way to do it that won't
have you messing with very large and complex programs (re: Mailman), try
minimalist.  It's a simple yet very complete mlm in perl.  It has a mode
that will run in newsletter fassion where only you (or other authorized
users) can post and everyone else read.  No one will be able to see anyone
elses address except their own and the list address.  You should be able
to find minimalist on freshmeat.

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.