Re: mailing list question

On Sunday, Aug 24th 2003 at 15:12 -0500, quoth Mike Watson:

=>On Sunday 24 August 2003 02:45 pm, Globe Trotter wrote:
=>> Hi,
=>>
=>> I am the newsletter editor for a professional group which has about a
=>> couple of thousand members. As the new newsletter comes out, I would
=>> like to send e-mails to all these people telling them that it has
=>> come out and been posted at the group's webpage. Last time, I had to
=>> send out ten different e-mails (because of Unix limitations of no
=>> more than 220 addresses or something like that), and all Bcc'ed (so
=>> that the other members would not get hold of the other addresses).
=>> Bcc'ing is not a great idea because of the monster called MS Trash
=>> (it automatically puts stuff in spam) so I suspect that some people
=>> never got the message, but more importantly, I was wondering if there
=>> was a way out of sending 20 or so e-mails. How does one set up a
=>> mailing list with the addresses in them, and such that no one else
=>> can either get hold of the addresses (not reproduced in the e-mail)
=>> or mail to the list (other than me)? Is this possible?
=>>
=>> Thanks and best wishes!
=>
=>Check out Mailman.  It comes with RH and it's easy to setup.
=>
=>Mike W

I'd really like to recommend that you not look at Mailman simply because
I've already done a fairly exhaustive analysis of a lot of different
mailinglist managers, and the one that's head and shoulders better is
majordomo2 (not to be confused with majordomo). Get it from
http://www.math.uh.edu/majordomo/
Yes I know it's not available as a tar file; you have to get it from CVS,
but trust me. It's really stable and the functionality is far superior.

I have my own stuff at steveo.syslang.net and I ran majordomo for years. I
switched to majordomo2 and never looked back. This is a truly object
oriented system that works *really* well and totally blows away the
functionality of a Mailman (as well as majordomo). And the people who run
the list to support it are the best and are also very responsive. When I
have a question I get answers usually in minutes.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net