Writing to storage immediately

Here's the problem:  I'll use my NexDisk as an example, but it happens with
other media as well.

I back up my home folder to my NexDisk so I can take it with me.  Mounting the
disk is no problem.  Copying and Pasting from Home to NexDisk is no problem.

The issue occurs during the UnMount.  When I click Paste, I see disk activity
for a few seconds and watch the illustration of data being copied.  Once that
quits, I unmount only to have to watch the activity light flicker for several
more seconds until the data is actually flushed to the drive.

Somewhere in the dusty old cobweb infested corners of my brain I seem to
recall there is a command which causes that "flush" to occur immediately,
instead of waiting for the unmount command, or doing it "while it's resting".

Am I dillusional or does such a command exist ??  Can Linux be told to do this
by default each time data is written to removable media ??

Any help appreciated.

Joebewan