Re: dial on demand

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Waterson" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:09 AM
Subject: dial on demand

> Is there a how-to some where for dial on demand for redhat 9?
>
> Kind regards
> Kevin

Kevin

 Here's the list of things I made for myself for dial on demand...
 the nameservers will be your isp's nameservers rather than mine and dial up
number.

 This worked up until RedHat 8.0 so I don't see any reasons why it won't
work now. If you get stuck
 feel free to give us a holler and I'll help out as best I can.

 The full version that I got the information from is:-
 http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html and is well worth the read.

 Bryan

 Snip_________________________________________________________________

 Add nameservers

 /etc/resolv.conf has lines:-

 domain dial.pipex.com
 nameserver 158.43.240.4
 nameserver 158.43.240.3

 /etc/host.conf has lines:-

 order hosts, bind

 /etc/nsswitch.conf has lines:-

 hosts: files dns

 Make the files readable by all accounts

 Chmod a+r /etc/resolv.conf /etc/host.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf

 Check there isn't a default route

 /sbin/route -n

 Check the ppp daemon is installed

 /usr/sbin/pppd

 This brings up a screen of scrolling squiggles

 Alter pap-secrets and chap-secrets

 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
 /etc/ppp/chap-secrets have the line:-

 yourusername * yourpassword *

 Check the dial-up works

 Type the following string on one line:-

 /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 user yourusernamegoesinhere connect
 "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATDT08450885056 CONNECT '\d\c' "

 If this works turn it into an executable script but before that change
your options for ppp

 Alter ppp options

 /etc/ppp/options has lines:-

 demand
 idle 120
 holdoff 15
 lock
 crtscts
 defaultroute
 noauth
 noipdefault

 Type in the following into a text editor and save it as
/usr/sbin/pipexdial

 #!/bin/sh
 /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 user yourusernamegoesinhere connect
 "/usr/sbin/chat -f usr/sbin/pipexchat"

 Then type in a terminal window:

 Chmod a+rx /usr/sbin/pipexdial

 To make it executable.

 Create a chat script

 Type in the following into a text editor and save it as
/usr/sbin/pipexchat

 ABORT "NO CARRIER"
 ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
 ABORT "ERROR"
 ABORT "NO ANSWER"
 ABORT "BUSY"
 ""        AT
 OK-\d\d+++\d\d\c-OK ATH0
 ""        ATM0
 OK      ATDT908450885056
 CONNECT '\d\c'

 Type pipexdial into a terminal window and it'll wait for requests to make
 it dial out