From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Charles Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 1:51 PM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Samba trouble...

Robert Boone wrote:

Hello,

I've been using samba for a number of years, but I haven't seen anything like this.

The problem is sometimes, not all the time, when I try to mount a smbfs shares under linux

It hangs but it does mount the share. The problem really shows itself when you try bootup with

the smb share in the fstab. It locks up and you never get a login. Has this ever happened to anyone

else?

Thanks,

Robert Boone, RHCE

Web services Coordinator

West Texas A&M University

What does /var/log/messages show (if anything)?

Cheers--
Charles

I should have been more forthcoming in my previous message. Consulting my O'Reilley book on SAMBA I find this:

This is a little more descriptive, taken from the O'Reilly samba book:

- fake oplocks
If set, returns YES whenever a client asks if it can lock a file and
cache it locally but does not enforce the lock on the server. Results
in performance improvement for read-only shares. NEVER USE WITH
READ/WRITE SHARES!

- oplocks
If YES, supports local caching of oplocked files on the client. This
option is recommended because it improves performance by about 30%.

So, I guess I should have said, try opslok off, but use with care. Sorry about that. Next time, I'll read first then shoot off my mouth. Sorry.

Cheers--
Charles