Re: partitioning a HDD

Am Sam, 2003-08-02 um 16.28 schrieb Globe Trotter:
> sorry this is another silly question:\
> can i partition a drive without actually eliminating it completely?
>
> point in question: my new dual-processor comes pre-installed with RH9. I
> dislike the directory structure of one gigantic / and everything under it. I
> prefer a partition with / for the OS, and /usr/local which would contain the
> work files as well as my home directory. Can I actually do this without having
> to reinstall the whole thing?

you should consider  /sbin/resize2fs (works with ext3, too) and
carefully read man resize2fs!

The necessary steps involve:

1) Make shure, that no data are stored near the (physikal) end of your
current root partition.

2) Make the filesystem smaller using resize2fs (you must use a rescue
system for this task)

3) Delete and recreate the / partition with proper size (important: use
the same starting cylinder in fdisk)

4) Create the new partitions as needed

5) Mount the new partitions to temporary mount points and move the
content of the directories in question and adjust /etc/fstab accordingly
(perhaps you should use a rescue system for this task)

6) Boot into your restructured system

You may consider to create the free space after 3 as one LVM partition
and then create log. volumes for your filesystems. So it's easier to
adjust the filesystem sizes if your needs requirre it.

It's a lot of work! May be it's easier to make a fresh install.

Peter