Re: Quiet boot of Linux system -- Is it possible?

On Thursday 31 July 2003 09:00, shrike-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Sorry, if it sounds nonesense. Can I configure my Linux box to boot
> > quietly without printing those OK and FAILED strings?
>
> The next version of Red Hat Linux will have a graphical boot screen which
> will hide all of that.  You'll just get a progress bar of how far it's gone

Or, get the latest initscripts and rhgb packages out of Rawhide (or from you
Severn discs or ftp mirror of choice; I believe they are the same version),
and install them on your Shrike box. Voila. Graphical boot on 9.

One caveat; I've been told that version initscripts is slightly broken, and
causes issues on systems with a separate /usr partition. I don't have such a
thing, and it works perfectly for me on my 9 system (it's a MythTV box, so I
thought I'd try it out in place of the text rolling across the TV).
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx