Re: Basic kernel installation problems

Andrew Robinson said:
> On my Ximian Evolution Summary screen, I notice that RedHat has an
> advisory on the kernel. Given that kernel handling is an area of
> ignorance for me, "Cool!" I think. Here's a chance to get some
> experience. I clicked through and downloaded these two files:
>
> kernel-2.4.20-19.9.athlon.rpm
> kernel-2.4.20-19.9.src.rpm
>
> I downloaded the src rpm because I thought at some point in the near
> future, I might try building my own kernel, knowing that that's a good
> skill to have.

IIRC you want the kernel-source-2.4.20-19.9.i386.rpm:
the Linux kernel. These source files are needed to build custom/third
party device drivers. The source files can also be used to build a custom
kernel that is better tuned to your particular hardware, if you are so
inclined (and you know what you're doing)."

[snip]
> I figured this meant the compilation needed the kernel source. I thought
> I had installed that, so I ran the command "rpm -qa | grep kernel". The
> result was this:
>
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13
> kernel-2.4.20-19.9
> kernel-source-2.4.20-8
> kernel-2.4.20-8
>
> I ran the command "rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.20-19.9.src.rpm" again. Yet with
> the "rpm -qa" command, the 2.4.20-19.9 source did not show up,again.
>
> At this point I figured there must be a fundamental knowledge problem.
> Would some kind soul explain to me what I don't know.

src.rpm packages don't go into the rpm database (kernel-source will,
however, since it is an i386.rpm).

--
William Hooper