Problem with gnome and palm pilot

I'm trying to set up a Palm "desktop" on RH9. I use the Gnome Control
Center to set up the connection. I get the user name and id from the
palm.When I then try to do a hotsync, I get an error dialog complaining
"Unknown pilot - no pilots matches ID -1283675382. Use gnomecc to set
pilot's ID" I assume it's looking for an ID that could be a valid uid. I
think I can change the id with the install-user program. However, I am
fearful that changing the id might mess up other things, like the
hotsyncing on my Windoze machine or the encryption program on the Palm.
Anyone here know of the consequences of changing the id? Any way around
changing the id in gnome?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson