Re: Shrike download of Red Hat 9.0 is a mess

I had no trouble downloading the isos onto my redhat 9 box and buring cds with cdrecord - 3 of 3 with no coasters.

I'm not sure what "md5sum.exe" is, but the "md5sum" program that comes with linux works fine too.

Perhaps there is a problem in your methodology and/or the tools you used.

Joe

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

Hi,
I don't pretend to be a Unix guru, but I have used it to some extent
in
my 30 some years of professional programming. I had previously
installed
Red Hat 7.3 from a mirror site with no problems. Suddenly I see a new
file type called 'iso' for downloading from several different mirror
sites. The comments described them as file for 'Easy CD Creator'. I
tried running my copy of md5sum.exe on the hard drive images, but got
nothing but failures. I them looked for a fresh copy of md5sum.exe on
Red Hat's site. They directed me to a page where I did not see the file
md5sum.exe (deliberate maybe?). I browsed the net and found a 3rd party
site where I was able to find a working md5sum.exe and all my files
passed
the checksum.
The files are self extracting and they called my Easy CD Creator,
version 5.x to burn them on my Plextor PX-w 2410A, the same drive I had
used to burn Linux 7.3. Unfortunately, the transferred file came out as one big iso file. The the auto extraction, there was no opportunity to
change settings, but I assumed Easy CD would adapt properly. I found a
site 'www.petri.co.il' with a howto on writing iso files. They
recommended either Easy CD Creator or Nero. I tried running it in Nero
and there you are asked to specify and iso file transfer, and that
option
is defaulted to 'folders'. The Nero worked fine and I had 3 CDROMS's
with
the folder structure required for installation of Linux. They also
mention that sometimes the hardware of the CDROM will not burn the iso's
properly. My Plextor seemed to work just well enough to give me a
working
copy. I don't know why Red Hat switched to iso's (supposed to handle
Unix
long names better), but the older method in 7.3 worked just fine. It
took
a lot of digging to get the iso's to work, and the documentation for
this
is either missing or scattered around various sites, including Red Hat.
I think Red Hat just wants to make life difficult, so people will buy
their install package, although not seeing it, it could be just as
confusing as the downloaded version.
On another topic, which is somewhat off topic for this forum, I had trouble installing the LILO on my Windows 2000 machine so that I could
do
a dual boot to both Windows and Linux, the later using a boot loader on
my Linux partition. The graphical loader interface gives you all kinds
of
options to configure the boot loader, including updating (my case as an
update to my 7.3), leaving unchanged, or installing either LILO or their
new boot loader GRUB. I tried all the options, but couldn't get the
Windows loader to get me into LINUX. It's a good thing I have a friend
who has had recent Unix experience with boot loaders having this same
problem. I scoured the Howto's and Docs with no answers, but he had a
solution which involved creating a bootsect.lnx file in Linux and
copying
it to the bootsect.lnx file on Windows in the C: folder.
Red Hat has a long way to go to making their installers work and
properly documenting these new versions.

Sherwin Dubren

which automatically call up Easy CD.