Re: rh9 on Dell D600 (thanks)

That worked, kernel version 2.4.20-19 greatly enhanced the performance for this model.

-steve

James Ralston wrote:

On 2003-07-17 at 10:29:22-0700 Stephen Mah <steve.mah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm testing rh9 on a Dell D600. It seems to install fine, but I'm
not impressed by the speed. It has an Intel centrino 1.4ghz mobile
pentium chip. The Toshiba 9000 with 1.ghz seems much quicker. Does
the kernel support this chipset?

Make sure you've upgraded to the latest errata kernel--the kernel on the RHL9 installation CDs doesn't support the exact flavor of the D600's southbridge, which pretty much tanks all performance right there.

If you're talking about raw CPU speed, there's a setting in the BIOS
that can be used to run the CPU in low-power (read: "slow") mode.  If
you don't care about battery life, make sure that option is set to
"fast" mode.

Other than that, make sure you have plenty of memory in it, because
having to touch the disk is a huge bottleneck, and you want to do it
as infrequently as possible.