Re: CUPS hang on reset - revisited

Around about 22/07/2003 09:44, Tim Waugh typed ...
It'll be /usr/lib/cups/backend/serial -- the serial device backend.

That's the kiddie.

I'd guess there is some serial device that is causing the backend's
serial probe to fail.  It does this for each /dev/ttyS* port:
  open(device, O_WRONLY | O_NOCTTY | O_NDELAY)
and then the same for /dev/usb/ttyUSB*.

I do see a flurry of (failed due to no such file) /dev opens upon a strace (posted last month - don't *think* it contains any hints - starting at /dev/ttyS1 and ending with /dev/usb/ttyUSB0).

What serial devices do you have attached?

OK, I've a modem hanging off one serial port, second one's currently configured to be an infrared transceiver.

I have a USB printer and scanner (both epson), plus a couple of cables currently not connected to anything (one's for digicam, other's for cardreader).

Don't remember which of the printer/scanner is plugged into one of the mobo's USB slots (prob. scanner); the other mobo slot is connected to a 7-port USB hub, into which the other USB things are plugged.

I've not /noticed/ any glitches with any of the devices, with printing working a treat - except for this problem, natch.

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature