CUPS hang on reset - revisited

I've posted this problem before, and I've now had a bit more of a rummage.

My CUPS hangs on reset - this I usually notice during RPM upgrade of cups, when then rpm initscript stops & restarts the service (the restart hangs). I think I also see it during some logrotates that do the same thing.

I *don't* think it always does it upon any old 'service cups restart' - I'm not sure what the difference is, but the process that hangs ('cups/backed/serial' or similar) isn't always running to start with so is not always there to hang.

*Any* attempt to monitor the hung process (e.g., strace) wakes it up. AFAICT it's stuck in a 'read()' call, with only one fd open, that being a pipe (/proc/pid/fd/1).

FWIW, I have an epson USB printer, which doesn't have to be on for the problem to occur.

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature