"Correct" auto-partitioned drive

I let RH auto-partition my 10 GB hard drive back at RH 7.2 and I've been finding
ways around the partition scheme ever since (some partitions always seem too small).

I figure it's time I fix this and now have a 40 GB drive that I can use anyway so I
wanted to move all but /home into a single 8GB partition

I'm familiar with fdisk and mke2fs (and parted) so the creation of the drive
paritions is no problem

I just want to make sure that I can boot from a rescue disk, mount the two drives,
and copy the files over .. or should I be doing something else like a dd (but for
that I think the partions have to be the same size)

Also, how do I get the MBR over to the new drive (I use grub)?