Re: HOWTO: LVM2 for the 2.6 kernel

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Dax Kelson wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 07:43, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   based on your situation, you can configure with a small set
> > of options.  i chose:
> >
> >   $ ./configure --with-lvm1=none --enable-readline
> >
> > you can read the INSTALL file to see what's right for you.
>
> Thanks for the write up. Nice.

don't get too complimentary yet.  my first attempt to actually
run "pvcreate" failed complaining that the tools and libraries
versions were not compaible.  i already posted to sistina's
LVM mailing list, asking for some advice.

> One comment:
>
> I suspect that if you do --with-lvm1=none you won't be to boot back into
> a 2.4 kernel and activate/use LVM.
>
> Probably --with-lvm1=internal is a safer choice.

that's why i suggested that folks should look at the config
options and choose for themselves what seemed to be right for
them.

also, if you're currently running LVM, you'd have a fair bit more
work to do, like building a new initrd with the LVM2 support, etc.
i didn't feel like getting that involved, so i kept it simple.

anyway, i'm still trying to figure out the runtime problem.
dang.  so close ...

rday