RE: x-windows broke

On 7/18/2003 at 2:17 PM Bob Mclaughlin wrote:

>Doc, Scott,
>Thanks for the reply.  I have been booting to run level 5
>until the same lockup occurred at the graphical login
>screen.  I just intervened in Grub to run level 3 to see
>what happens starting as root or skipping the login screen.
>The same lockup happens only at the Desk Top screen (login
>screen not used).  I've also tried booting from 2 earlier
>kernels with the same result.  The only thing done on the
>last working session was to check the mouse configuration in
>xwindows and even if that corrupted a file I wouldn't think
>it could get the keyboard as well.  Does anyone know of any
>logs I might look at or any reload options.?
>Bob

snip

perhaps you could take a log at /var/log/XFree86.0.log

another thing you might try is using the following alias. it does several
things, but the one most relevant to your current problem is that it creates a
log in the home directory of the user launching the X session.

in /etc/bashrc:

alias x="ssh-agent startx &> $HOME/.Xlog & sleep2; logout"

I got that from someone back on the 7.1 list.

regards,

shane