Re: Spamassassin on Default Shrike install

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 11:27, Thom Paine wrote:
> Is there a quick install guide for getting spamassassin working on a
> default shrike install? My inbox fills up faster than ever, and I'd like
> to get spamassassin working with my sendmail.
> I installed the rpms from the cd's and am unsure where to turn for docs
> on it and where to start. I didn't see much on the spamassassin site to
> help, because I am using the redhat rpms for spamassasin.

The SpamAssassin RPMs provided in the RH9 kit are _way_ too old. Their
efficiency at catching spam is therefore quite low.
You have to think of anti-spam software as being similar to anti-virus
software: update early, update often.
You must use a recent version of SA. Get convenient RPMs from here:

http://spamassassin.kluge.net/RPMS/

I suggest to download the src.rpm and rebuild it on your own system:

rpmbuild --rebuild spamassassin......

Then install the generated binary RPMs.

The actual details of configuring SA and the MTA largely depend on
what's your MTA (Postfix, Sendmail, etc.).

I'm using this method to run SA-2.55 on RH-7.2 with Postfix-1.1.11

Stay tuned, SA-2.60 is almost ready to be released... ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith