Re: x-windows broke

On Friday July 18, 2003 Scott Helms wrote:
> Doc,
>
> 	I am not sure why you think that startx isn't common, many people
> prefer to start that way for control purposes.

Scott,

I'm not saying it can't be done or that it isn't supported. I'm confident,
though, that of the hundreds of thousands of Linux desktop/laptop (not
server) installations of all types, the overwhelming majority boot to X by
default.

The best anecdotal evidence I have that this is true are the ongoing Gnome
vs KDE holy wars. One rarely sees really juicy, rancorous discussions
about font sizes and background colors any more.

"... for control purposes." ????  C'mon.  I'm an engineer whose computers
rarely have their side panels installed, yet I almost never feel the need
to exercise that kind of control. That would be perilously close to OCD.

But enough of such things. Let's get back to the original problem:  Is X
broken *only* when running 'startx', or is it also broken via runlevel 5?
The answer to this question should trim the number of possible problems
areas.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL