Re: hang on start

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 18:40, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that directory, and have been tempted to move it or remove
> > it.
> >
> > What is the significance of that directory, and why should it cause this
> > issue?
>
> It is the mount point for the initrd used during boot.

Well, the initrd itself is initially mounted on a ramdisk, not on the
hard drive's / .  But then when it comes time to mount the hard drive's
root partition, as /, the old root partition (on the ramdisk) has to go
somewhere.  This is a process called 'pivotroot' I think.  So the initrd
ramdisk ends up being mounted on /initrd after the 'pivot' and then gets
unmounted.  For more details look at the initscripts and the contents of
the initrd.  It's all quite magical.  :-)

While all of this is good to know, it's not actually related to the
problem that started this thread.  The person is obviously getting much
farther past the initrd state in booting.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |