Re: RH9 with Extigy & Santa Cruz & Audio Format Conversion?

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 19:36, Colburn wrote:
> Anyone tried the Creative Sound Blaster Extigy (USB audio processing for
> use with a laptop) or the Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (24bit audio
> card, preferred to the SBLive) with RedHat9/Shrike?

Theoretically ALSA should support it (since it's a SoundBlaster after
all), but in actual fact it doesn't so far, probably due to the USB
stuff. Not at least up until 0.9.4 (0.9.5 has been released the other
day, but i'm not sure whether it supports the Extigy).

Myself, i'm using an Audigy2 Platinum ("simple" Platinum, not the
Platinum EX), it does all those things that the Platinum Ex and the
Extigy do, it has identical performance, and is supported by ALSA.

> I need both for a special app but don't want to invest the $190. plus
> shipping if RH9/Shrike cannot leverage the key features (e.g. 24bit and
> 44.1KHz audio processing with exceptionally low noise, etc.)

Yeah, that's why i got the Platinum. If you use ALSA as the sound
driver, JACK as the sound daemon, and some JACK-enabled DAW (digital
audio workstation) applications (Ecasound, Rezound, Ardour), then you
can work small miracles (that is, miracles for a consumer-grade sound
card).
You may need though a kernel with low-latency and real-time, plus some
other media stuff (ALSA RTC, etc.), to take advantage of all those neat
features that JACK offers. But it works pretty well with the Red Hat
kernel too, as long as you're not becoming too picky.

If you really want a true professional-grade sound card, take a look at
the Hammerfall. It's supported by ALSA, and it's one major piece of
sound hardware.

http://www.rme-audio.com/

In between, cheap and not so full-featured as the Hammerfall, but with
extremely good analog audio performance, there's the mAudio Revolution.

http://www.m-audio.com/

> One other question -- what about audio format conversion, e.g. CDA to
> MP3 or WAV under RH9/Shrike?  Any preferred apps?

Grip can natively save CDA to WAV.
If you install Lame, Grip can use it to do a two-steps-in-one conversion
to MP3.

It's point-and-click, works very well, comes with RH9.

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith