Re: dvd player / ide-scsi errors?

Around about 29/05/2003 21:05, Daniel van Gerpen typed ...
I'm having trouble accessing a DVD under RH9. ...
# ls -g /dev/dvd /dev/scd1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root            9 May 29 18:28 /dev/dvd -> /dev/scd1
brwxrwxrwx    1 disk      11,   1 Jan 30 11:24 /dev/scd1
Is this a know scenario? What can I do about it?

When I first got my DVD-ROM drive to supplement my CD-R drive, I tried to make the DVD use ide-scsi as the CD-R was doing so that cdrecord (xcdroast in particular) could read from it.

While ISTRT it worked (but it may not have done - I didn't leave it set up), I found I was completely incapable of playing DVDs on it. Guess there's a conflict between the 'SCSI' I/F and DVD I/F (above and beyond the normal CD IDE).

Your best bet would seem to be to bin ide-scsi (may be in modules.conf, may be in the lilo/grub bootline); see previous threads for details, but essentially cdrecord can now access ATAPI CD-R directly (and I've found xcdroast at least works 'out of the box' as well - although you're probably better d/l'ing the latest xcdroast *and* cdrecord RPMs from the xcdroast site).

cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 ...
[can put default dev= in cdrecord conf. file; /dev/hdx is supposed to work but doesn't seem to always for ATAPI]

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature