Re: Installing 2 RH9 instances, in the same machine

On Thu, 29 May 2003 dballester@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi to all:
>       Anybody know any how-to for install a new fresh RH9 but mantaining
> the old one? I Have space for another RH9 in my machine and wanna create
> another 'instance' to use it as test, develop and destroy/create if needed.
> Then once I have all necessary, apply the result cleanly in the old
> instance ( production instance, for example ).
>
>       I tried to follow the normal install proces, saying to anaconda to
> 'Use ony free space to install' but on Grub configuration the references to
> old installations doesn't appear, and I've fear to create new grub
> configuration and point to the new /boot , loosing the old one.

If you are going to be reinstalling the test RH9, it is probably safer not
to install a boot loader for the new copy. The grub loader on your
existing RH9 will boot your test RH9, if you add entries to
/boot/grub/grub.conf, they should be the same as existing entries with
root (hd ?,?) changed to refer to your test /boot partition.

	Michael Young