up2date applet is a little sliver!

Ok, this is strange.  My up2date applet in my gnome
panel is a really, really skinny sliver.  At first I
thought it was gone, but then I noticed that there is
a little red sliver in the notification area.  If I
click on it, I get the up2date dialog box, so it is
running in the panel.  How I can I get it back to its
normal size?  I tried resizing the panel but that
didn't change anything.  I thought about deleting it
but I'm not sure how to get it back.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Charles