SOLVED: libdvd can't open dvd device

On Tue, May 27, 2003 16:24:03 at 04:24:03PM -0400, Bill Nottingham (notting@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm testing ogle on a T21 IBM laptop running shrike.
> > When I tell it to "open disc" all I get is
> >
> > libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss
> > libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
> > ERROR[OGLE_NAV]: faild to open /read the DVD
> >
> > /dev/dvd is link to /dev/cdrom which is link to /dev/hdc
> > Nothing changes doing it as user or root.
>
> If it's a DVD/CD-RW combo drive, you may be using IDE-SCSI,
> and therefore /dev/scd0.

not that one, but:
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd

solved the problem. Of course, this gives yet another argument, much
more valid than the ones presented so far, to those saying that
multimedia support is immature in Red Hat/Free SW in general. This
issue has nothing to do with licensing, yet newbies should be spared
from such things. Ah, well...

     Thanks again,
			Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Preserve the old, but know the new.