buying a scanner (was Re: loading scanner as module

On Monday 26 May 2003 20:35, Craig Toenes shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thank You again for your suggestions. I guess the only
> thing worse than a scanner company that disavows
> any knowledge of Linux is having to pay Bill Gates 200
> dollars for an OS I don't want every time I buy a
> Dell or Gateway. What the hell. I'll do it up in
> antique brown and put some flowers in it.
>
>          Thanks anyway,
>                        Craig

Sorry to hear that you had no success with the scanner.
The sad fact is that one can go out and buy any hardware,
and _normally_ expect it to work out of the box with Microsoft
Windows**. However, when using any other OS, one is obliged
to research if the particular product is supported, BEFORE
buying that hardware.

As much as I am *seriously* ticked off at Epson for their
ink-sucking printers, I must give them kudos for their scanners.
They even provide a free scanner utility for linux which is just
as light as kooka.

Permit me to point you again to : "Linux USB device overview".
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
More and more perhiperals are coming out with usb-only connections
and the good news from this site is that *more and more* of them
are supported in linux. I suggest you consult this location before
proceeding with any future purchases.

Linux Devices <http://www.linuxdevices.com/> should also
be a valuable tool.

HTH & cheers,