missing /usr/lib/libartsbackend.la

Hello Shrike Users,

I'm trying to use xmms with the arts sound server.  However whenever
i try to play anything with xmms with the arts driver loaded, it
hangs. It pre-buffers the data, and hangs on the first write to
the arts driver.

At the same time I get the following error in .xsession-errors:

arts_init error: loading the aRts backend "/usr/lib/libartscbackend.la"
failed

AFAIR libartsbackend.la was part of the arts package, which does
not seem to be the case anymore.  Any idea where this file could
be moved?

I'm running Red Hat 9 with KDE, updated with apt to the latest
patches.  You may find a list of all the packages installed on my
system at:  http://lbcons.net/~mmuller/misc/rpms.txt

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks:  Miklos