Re: updated kernel and Soundblaster Audigy

Florin Andrei wrote :

> > > If the /etc/init.d script contained in alsa-utils does not work for
> > > you(there are a few decisions that were made when creating that
> > > script that, to me at least, seem a bit awkward), then you may try
> > > out my version of it:
> > >
> > > http://florin.myip.org/stuff/alsactl
> >
> > Hmmm, in what way is my script awkward? I think it's pretty much
> > useless anyway if you've put the right entries in modules.conf since
> > the sound modules seem to be unloaded upon shutdown and reboot, so the
> > state can be automatically saved then (see my ALSA page).
>
> My impression (which may be wrong) is that it's better to force the
> version of the script does.
> With the original script, loading the modules sometimes fails. I am
> aware that proper statements in modules.conf might fix that, however i
> wanted a more "bulletproof" solution.
> With my script, the sound modules are always loaded at boot time,
> regardless, and you know precisely when that thing happens (by defining
> when is the alsactl script run by the rc hierarchy).
> I probably adopted the same strategy as the Red Hat booting scripts
> which, for example, will always load the USB modules at boot time, even
> when there's no active device connected to the USB controller. Better
> have all that stuff ready to go than wait when you're trying to use it
> for the first time (and possibly fail, in some rare cases).

I get it now. Indeed, my init script is just there to save the alsa mixer
settings upon shutdown or reboot for the people who wouldn't have put the
currect entries in their modules.conf file. I definitely prefer the
modules.conf approach, as I find it much cleaner and that's the way it
works by default with the OSS modules on Red Hat Linux, and I like
consistency.

> Otherwise the Freshrpms packages are of an excellent quality. It's just
> this tiny script that nags me.

Well, if you just add the correct aliases and pre/post module install
commands to your modules.conf, you'll get the exact same result. As I said,
that is what I recommend and find cleanest :-)

Matthias

Raw Hide 20030511 running Linux kernel 2.4.20-13.9
Load : 0.69 0.62 0.40