laptop install different from desktop install

Hello,
	Try to stay with me on this one it is kind of hard to explain, i'll try
to make it as simple as i can.
	I've got two machines, a desktop box, server running rh9. The other box
is a dual boot laptop running win2k and rh9. Now when I boot the desktop
I can do:
mount /mnt/cdrom
	and so forth because the mountpoints are there, my sound module is
loaded properly, i ran sndconfig and everything is working great.
	Now on the laptop this is not the case, the mountpoints for the rom and
so forth which exist on the desktop do not exist in /mnt on the laptop. I
realize i can just create them and it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is
kind of indicating to me that something didn't get installed or something
blew out during the install on the laptop. Now to the sound card, a
cs4281, is detected by sndconfig and i told it to automatically load the
module at startup. I checked /etc/modules.conf and there in fact is an
entry for the cs4281, however on startup the module is not loaded
automatically as it is on the desktop. I've run depmod -a without any
errors. A final note since the laptop is dual boot i always power which
ever OS completely down and cold start to boot, I've found that
eliminates either OS's pnp  facilities failing to configure hardware
because it remembers from the previous warm boot.
	If anyone has an idea on this please let me know.
Thanks.
Dave.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!