Re: Big Brother and 9

Tom Diehl wrote:

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Cowles, Steve wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Diehl
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 9:52 PM
Subject: Big Brother and 9

Can someone tell me if this is something to be worried about?

I'm getting this error on BBDISPLAY server on RH linux 9.0. Any fix
that anybody knows
?

May 15 16:00:12 kbnms kernel: application bug: bbd(456) has SIGCHLD
set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
May 15 16:00:12 kbnms kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait').
Workaround activated

This is with Big Brother and 9. It was reported on the bb list and since eventually I intend to upgrade the bbdisplay
to 9 I would like to know what's the scoop on this.

Can't add anymore than what has already been posted to the bigbrother list. A good starting point...

http://support.bb4.com/archive/200305/msg00308.html

I have read the stuff from the bb list and there does not seem to be anything more there than people guessing at what is going on. By posting here I was
hoping (maybe incorrectly) that someone familiar with what the above error
really means would comment.

I guess if I were a c programmer the notes in "man 2 wait" referenced above
would actually mean something. sigh oh well!! :-(

FWIW: I have seen the above error logged at my end since upgrading to RH-9,
but so far it has not caused any problems what so ever. Bigbrother is
running just fine as a BBDISPLAY and in bb-client modes. I have 3 linux
systems here.

I suspect that my experience would also be that things work however I get
concerned any time some program starts spewing things into my logs that I do not understand.

spamassassin had this problem as well. you might be able to dig in their list archive for an explanation/description of the error.

hth

Steve