Re: Gnome error messages opening gedit from root terminal

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:52:13AM -0500, Gerry Tool wrote:
> When I open a file in gedit from a root terminal session, I get the
> following message.
>
> (gedit:6111): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> The editor opens and works fine.  Is this a bug that needs to be
> reported, or is there some configuration item I need to change to get
> rid of the message?

Basically you will get that message if gedit can't authenticate to the
session manager. To authenticate, the root gedit needs to read
~/.ICEauthority in your user's home directory. However, a root gedit
doesn't know which user's .ICEauthority file to look at.  It tries to
read /root/.ICEauthority and that doesn't do any good, thus the
failure.

To just quiet the message you can use "su -" instead of "su" to
avoid inheriting the SESSION_MANAGER environment variable.

To make it actually work, you can set ICEAUTHORITY=~user/.ICEauthority
(much as XAUTHORITY is already set).

However, you don't really want root to connect to the SM (since the SM
can't restart a program running as root), it is probably more right to
unset SESSION_MANAGER for root.

I can't quickly think of how we would do that automatically without
breaking the case where the SM itself is running as root (an entire
root GUI desktop session). Of course, I don't think you should log in
to a whole desktop as root, so maybe that's OK. ;-)

The right fix may be for the session manager to automatically not
restart applications that are running as a different user.  But still
let those apps connect, so that they are able to exit cleanly on
logout and such.

Havoc