Re: Making Linux bootable CD from Windows

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 16:29, MutalikDesai, Raghunandan (PS, Bently
Nevada) wrote:
> i've downloaded the Linux 9 from Red Hat ftp site.
> now, i want to burn a cd (from Win2K) out of this and use it as a bootable CD.
> i'm stuck on what shd go inside this CD.
> the downloaded stuff is exceeding 1.5GB :(
[snip]

on my mirror (planetmirror.com.au) you would go to
/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso
where you would find 'doc' and 'i386'.  In i386 there is
shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso
shrike-SRPMS-disc2.iso
shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso
shrike-i386-disc1.iso
shrike-i386-disc2.iso
shrike-i386-disc3.iso

You only need the last three (not SRPMS).  Burn each of these to cd
using a program that can burn iso images properly (don't just 'copy'
them to cd).  Also make sure there is a 'make cd bootable' option.

Sorry you had to download so much to find this out.  There is another
option, you could make your own iso's from the stuff you downloaded, but
its a bit tricky.  I've done it before - you have to make sure you pass
all the right options to mkisofs to preserve long names etc, then create
a boot disk, then point the install to the hd partition (and folder)
that the iso's are on!

You may find two problems though: 1. I've only done it with three
directories -> three iso's (disk1 disk2 and disk3) and 2. I've only done
it with ext3 filesystems, not fat32 or whatever, and _definately_ not
ntfs.

Unless you have a modem/slow connection, it will probably be quicker to
download new iso's.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
And thank you most of all for nuclear power, which is yet to cause a

		-- Homer Simpson
		   Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?