Re: OT: SCO targets Linux customers

At 21:38 5/14/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Is there anyone on this list whose employer got a letter from SCO?

The article at news.com says that letters were sent to about 1,500 of the
world's largest corporations warning them that they could be liable. This
could make CEOs very nervous.
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1001609.html?tag=fd_top

The only cure for misinformation is credible, objective, factual, accurate, calmly-delivered truth. Simply make sure that you, your friends, your associates, and those with whom you come into contact know the truth, and you shall have done everything that can possibly be expected of you.

SCO's position, IMHO, is simply ludicrous. There are so many holes in it that I don't know where to begin. But yes, it could be very disruptive, and we all need to ensure that it does not become a "holy war" since that will only get us all branded fanatics and discredited immediately. Let them be the villain, make sure Linux is seen to be a victim and a scapegoat of a company essentially blackmailing its associates, former friends, and competitors.

I'm not sure whether this is as bad as Microsoft, or whether it's even worse. These people are not only jackasses, but are nearly bankrupt jackasses with no real commercial successes to boot.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx