Re: Hang when mounting SMB shares

> Hello
>
> Any reasons why 'Mounting SMB Shares' hangs forever when I'm booting up?
> What I'm doing now is comment all SMB shares out of /etc/fstab so I can
> actually boot, then uncomment the lines and issue a 'mount -a' which
> works instantly. Is there any service that should be loading before it
> attempts to mount at boot?
> I have the following installed:
>
> samba-client-2.2.7a-8.9.0
> samba-common-2.2.7a-8.9.0
>
> I also have properly configured /etc/samba/smb.conf with the correct
> workgroup, and with "wins server = 192.168.1.1"
>
> Thanks

Hello,

Entries in fstab are mounted *before* networking is brought up.  This
can cause the boot to hang if your fstab is set up to mount smb shares
automatically without telling it that the entries are for network
shares.  According to man fstab, the _netdev option is used for this
purpose.  The netfs script is supposed to mount the networked entries
after the network script has been run.  The smb module complains if you
try to use the _netdev option, but it should work.  Also, you could use
the noauto option and write a special init script to go into /etc/init.d
which will mount the smb shares.  Make sure your custom script is run
AFTER the network script.  Since S10network starts the network, S11 or
higher will do.  The script netfs is set to S25.

--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), VB for Applications, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP