Strange scsi question on shrike -- HELP

This one is wierd -- I don't really see how it can be a shrike issue, but ...

I have an all scsi system with 2 scsi controllers.  The first scsi controller is
an adaptec 29160 with 2 large disks, cdburner, dvd, and internal dds3 tape
drive.

The second card is an adaptec 2940 with only an external hp (dds2) tape changer
as lun 1 and a umax astra 12000S scanner as lun 2.  The bus is terminated at the
scanner.

Under 8.0 (7.3, 7.2 as well, but I don't have them installed any more, though)
this worked fine -- I can still boot to the 8.0 partition and it works fine.

HOWEVER, under 9/shrike, the combination does not work.

Normally I control the external tape changer with mtx. (it is /dev/sg5).  Any
commands such as

	mtx -f /dev/sg5

hang and never return. Eventually the scsi bus will reset.

Similarly accessing the scanner (/dev/sg6 = /dev/scanner) also fails.  Xsane
probes the bus and never finds the scanner.  If I reboot and remove either the
tape or the scanner from the bus, the remaining device works perfectly.  (FWIW,
I have 2 other external scsi devices, and I can hang them on the bus with the
tape drive and all is well -- that scanner doesn't like anything else on the bus
 under shrike. Under 8.0 it doesn't seem to care).

If I reboot under 8.0 (psyche) everything still works perfectly.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?  I'm going a bit crazy
with this one, as I am using the tape changer to back up a network, and I still
need to use the scanner regularly.  I could (probably) put another scsi card in
this machine, but I'd rather not if at all possible.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

- ba

--