Cannot update Athlon kernel through RH Network

I installed Red Hat Linux 9 from scratch and
am using the kernel furnished with it:

  kernel-2.4.20-8

I have updated other RPMs via a "demo" account using
the GUI interface Red Hat Network tool.

However, I cannot successfully download and update the kernel
with this RPM:    kernel-2.4.20-9.athlon.rpm

Here are the symptoms:
(I've tried this at all hours of the day, evening, and night.)
The GUI up2date tool tells me there is a newer kernel available.
I select the checkboxes to download it.
Either one of two things happen:

1) The up2date program hangs (won't update the screen) after
downloading between 1.5 to 3 MB of the 13 MB RPM, or

2) The up2date program downloads only 2.7 or so MB of the 13 MB
required, claims it is finished, and instructs me to click the Forward
button.  If I click the Forward, button an error message is displayed,
usually complaining about an incomplete RPM or an unpacking error.

I have manually removed the kernel-2.4.20-9.athlon.rpm and .hdr files
from /var/spool/up2date after the failure and tried again, with the same
results.

Is there a problem with that particular RPM?  With the RH server?

I am using the default server, and cannot change it because there
are no other choices in the pulldown menu for configuring the
up2date settings.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S             GNU/Linux User           http://parnass.com