Re: [Fwd: BMP Image Sequence to Video]

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 09:37, Michael Smith wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to get a BMP Image Sequence into a Video... format
> prefferablly something viewable by mplayer... or quicktime *.mov format
> would be good.

You could try to use transcode:

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/

I suspect that any image format that's supported by ImageMagick will be
supported as an input.
Here's an example (also including the reverse operation,
movie-to-pictures):

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/html/anim.html

Just replace "-y xvid" with "-y mpeg" in the example (to export to MPEG,
not to DivX) and it should simply do what you want.

Here are some examples pertaining the mpeg export module:

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/html/mpeg.html

You could use any export module instead of -y mpeg, to create not just
MPEG 1 or 2 movies or (S)VCD/DVD, but also DivX/AVI (higher compression
and better quality than MPEG2), etc.
Here are all the modules available:

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/html/modules.html

There's no need to search for RPM packages, just download the tarball
and rebuild it into an RPM with this command:

rpmbuild -ta transcode-......tar.gz

Some RPMs are available at freshrpms.net, if rebuilding is not your
thing (although is highly recommended, for reasons that will be
explained below).

Be aware that, when building transcode, some modules are self-contained
and will be built no matter what, while some other rely on external
libraries and codecs.
For the MPEG export module you don't need any external library,
transcode comes with it's own native MPEG codec. Just compile it, and
the module is there.
(There is an alternative MPEG export module, different than the native
one, which requires mjpegtools to be installed before building it, and
some people prefer it over the native one, but that's another story.)

To enable other modules (if you need any fancy stuff), you may need to
install various codecs and libraries before compiling transcode.
Example: if you want DivX export, grab and install the DivX codec
(commercial implementation at divx.com, open source implementation at
xvid.org) before building transcode.
A convenient xvid codec package (fancy name for a different DivX
implementation), along with various other libraries and codecs, can be
found at freshrpms.net

To verify what formats are supported by your current transcode build,
just check out the /usr/lib/transcode/ directory. Extreme cases :-) may
look like this:

# ls /usr/lib/transcode/
a52_decore.la       filter_32detect.la      filter_text.la
a52_decore.so       filter_32detect.so      filter_text.so
af6_decore.la       filter_32drop.la        filter_videocore.la
af6_decore.so       filter_32drop.so        filter_videocore.so
export_ac3.la       filter_aclip.la         filter_xsharpen.la
export_ac3.so       filter_aclip.so         filter_xsharpen.so
export_af6.conf     filter_astat.la         filter_yuvdenoise.la
export_divx4.la     filter_astat.so         filter_yuvdenoise.so
export_divx4raw.la  filter_clone.la         filter_yuvmedian.la
export_divx4raw.so  filter_clone.so         filter_yuvmedian.so
export_divx4.so     filter_cshift.la        filter_yuy2toyv12.la
export_divx5.la     filter_cshift.so        filter_yuy2toyv12.so
export_divx5raw.la  filter_cut.la           import_ac3.la
export_divx5raw.so  filter_cut.so           import_ac3.so
export_divx5.so     filter_decimate.la      import_avi.la
export_dv.la        filter_decimate.so      import_avi.so
export_dvraw.la     filter_dilyuvmmx.la     import_divx.la
export_dvraw.so     filter_dilyuvmmx.so     import_divx.so
export_dv.so        filter_divxkey.la       import_dvd.la
export_fame.la      filter_divxkey.so       import_dvd.so
export_fame.so      filter_dnr.la           import_dv.la
export_ffmpeg.la    filter_dnr.so           import_dv.so
export_ffmpeg.so    filter_doublefps.la     import_ffmpeg.la
export_jpg.la       filter_doublefps.so     import_ffmpeg.so
export_jpg.so       filter_extsub2.la       import_lav.la
export_lame.la      filter_extsub2.so       import_lav.so
export_lame.so      filter_extsub.la        import_lzo.la
export_lzo.la       filter_extsub.so        import_lzo.so
export_lzo.so       filter_fields.la        import_mp3.la
export_mjpeg.la     filter_fields.so        import_mp3.so
export_mjpeg.so     filter_invert.la        import_mpeg2.la
export_mp2enc.la    filter_invert.so        import_mpeg2.so
export_mp2enc.so    filter_ivtc.la          import_mplayer.la
export_mpeg2enc.la  filter_ivtc.so          import_mplayer.so
export_mpeg2enc.so  filter_list.awk         import_net.la
export_mpeg.la      filter_lowpass.la       import_net.so
export_mpeg.so      filter_lowpass.so       import_null.la
export_net.la       filter_mask.la          import_null.so
export_net.so       filter_mask.so          import_nuv.la
export_null.la      filter_normalize.la     import_nuv.so
export_null.so      filter_normalize.so     import_nvrec.la
export_ogg.la       filter_null.la          import_nvrec.so
export_ogg.so       filter_null.so          import_ogg.la
export_pcm.la       filter_preview.la       import_ogg.so
export_pcm.so       filter_preview.so       import_raw.la
export_ppm.la       filter_pv.la            import_rawlist.la
export_ppm.so       filter_pv.so            import_rawlist.so
export_raw.la       filter_resample.la      import_raw.so
export_raw.so       filter_resample.so      import_v4l.la
export_sampeg.la    filter_skip.la          import_v4l.so
export_sampeg.so    filter_skip.so          import_vdrac3.la
export_toolame.la   filter_smartdeinter.la  import_vdrac3.so
export_toolame.so   filter_smartdeinter.so  import_vob.la
export_wav.la       filter_smooth.la        import_vob.so
export_wav.so       filter_smooth.so        import_xml.la
export_xvidcvs.la   filter_subtitler.la     import_xml.so
export_xvidcvs.so   filter_subtitler.so     import_xvid.la
export_xvid.la      filter_tc_audio.la      import_xvid.so
export_xvidraw.la   filter_tc_audio.so      import_yuv4mpeg.la
export_xvidraw.so   filter_tc_video.la      import_yuv4mpeg.so
export_xvid.so      filter_tc_video.so      import_yuv.la
export_yuv4mpeg.la  filter_testframe.la     import_yuv.so
export_yuv4mpeg.so  filter_testframe.so     parse_csv.awk
filter_29to23.la    filter_test.la          xvid.cfg
filter_29to23.so    filter_test.so

--
Florin Andrei

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
C++ makes it harder, but when you do,
it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup