Re: Windows-like Desktop

Ingo Lantschner (Listen) wrote:
Does anyone know a light, Windows-like Desktop which runs on TinyX and
fluxbox (light alternative to XFRee86 and KDE/Gnome)

We have some P166/64MB-PCs for a project in Zambia, thanks to the
rule-project we have now a running RH9 - but we have to go away from the
unusual interface of fluxbox, since many of the people who learn on the
Linux-PCs will later got into Offices with Windows-GUI - and it will not
help them if tehy will be lost there.

Hope you have got the point, thanks for any help, Ingo.

I really like IceWM. It is fast and light, and works like Windows 9x as far as menu/taskbar/look. Alt-Tab works the same as Windows. The menu and quick launch buttons on the taskbar are easy to customize. It has hundreds of available themes. It does NOT support desktop icons to launch new programs, so if you want desktop icons, you need to run Nautilus or some other program to provide that.

I have a 2Ghz Pentium 4 and I still run IceWM because it works best for me.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+