The wrong value? was: Change of look : freshrpms.net

On Sun, May 04, 2003 11:31:41 at 11:31:41AM -0400, Keith Winston (kwinston@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Great!  Freshrpms.net adds a _lot_ of value to the base Red Hat distro.
>  I hope Red Hat takes notice ;)

Sorry to step in and sing (apparently) against the choir, but:

quite often, if we look at the archives of these lists, people are
pointed to freshrpms when they complain that Red Hat is so dumb that
cannot play MP3s, see crypted DVDs or similar.

Red Hat is right in not shipping anything with patent infringements or
copyright/license ambiguities. Period. The current patent and
copyright system are aberrant, ridiculous, and so on, no doubt. But
the right way to fight it is not to sneak around somebody which (in
*his* self interest, I agree) raises the issue and says "as things
stands now, this is or might be a crime, do don't count on me". Since
we are not talking of food or water, the right answer is to take
conscience of how ridiculous the current system is, and boycott.

Not installing the MP3 player from somewhere else. That only
strenghtens DMCA and friends, because they can say "look how many
downloads! look how much piracy!".

Stop copying, buying, consuming in general canned movies and
music. Play your own. Go outside and listen to *live* stuff: theater,
concerts, etc.. (paying, why not? At least in that way the actual
author and performers *get* a bigger share)

DISCLAIMER:

All of the above doesn't cancel the facts that:

freshrpms is *much*, much more than mp3/dvd players
Mathias *is* doing an excellent and needed job
I use a lot of his packages, and am grateful for them
In short, freshrpms is a good thing, and I just used that message to
scratch a long overdue itch of mine.

  Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

I doni ricevuti dal Padreterno, servono se utilizzati: chi li contempla
gode, ma chi ne fa uso probabilmente aiuta altri a godere.